To enhance, promote, and nurture the creative and economic development of the evolving Native arts and culture by serving as a network and resource to facilitate the sharing and gathering of information between arts organizations, artists and presenters, and the Native and Non-Native communities, and by promoting and mentoring artists and presenters to expand their opportunities.
“The biggest change is that people & organizations are more supportive of each other due to better communication; now (we are) able to put “our aces in the places …”
~ Janie Pochel
- Community Cultural Calendar: Starting with our one-page monthly calendar summaries, we are now able to list all community cultural events on our website. By incorporating all of events of Chicago’s Native organizations, you can find all the Chicago’s Native events in one place. Contact us/Monica Rickert to post your events or receive a one-page flyer to distribute and post.“An important advantage of A&C Committee is that it offers the opportunity to get the word out on community activities … people are interested in Arts and Culture.” ~ Dorene Wiese
- Initiated Native Foods Menu during Native American Heritage Month at the Field Museum’s Bistro: “The Field Museum Native Menu project was a first for the museum … to incorporate the Native American menu into an overall Field Museum schedule vs. incorporating the new menu as part of a particular event or exhibition.” Louis Delgado
- Launched website in 2015!
Join our work! You can make these programs a success. We meet the last Thursday of the month 9:30am-11am. Contact A&C Committee Chair Kathleen McDonald firstname.lastname@example.org for meeting location.
Projects in Progress:
Arts & Business Resource Directory: Artists, presenters, business owners submit your application to be included in our resource directory.
Chicago Artist Support Programs
Organizations & Community Members on A&C Committee: We average 12 community and organization members attending each monthly meeting and have a large mailing list to keep community members information of our monthly meeting progress. Join our committee and e-mailing list!
- American Indian Association of Illinois
- American Indian Center
- DCFS Indian Child Welfare Advocacy Program
- Field Museum
- Illinois State Museum
- Mitchell Museum of the American Indian
- Newberry Library, D’Arcy McNickle Center for American Indian and Indigenous Studies
- Title VII Indian Education Program, Chicago Public Schools
- Trickster Art Gallery
- University of Illinois Chicago, Native American Support Program
- University of Chicago